Saturday, December 31, 2011

Darrell K. Sweet (1934 - 2011) When you lose your heroes...

Just found out late that one of my favorite, modern-day artists had passed away earlier this month.

Mr. Darrell K. Sweet was one of many genre cover artists, fine artists and (surprises!) photographer, who gave an 'Old Master' touch to modern books. When I started reading Piers Anthony's Xanth series, it was a Darrell K. Sweet cover that drew me into that world.

Thank God I had also discovered Mr. Anthony's writings beforehand so it was a double-whammy!

I feel indebted to such figures who elevate fantasy and science fiction art to a level of museum and art gallery greatness, for genre media does not get nor receive the respect it deserves from popular culture, though pop culture does try to elevate the banal and mundane and mediocre..

Another 'hero artist' I also wish to honor was Mr. Keith Parkinson. More on him in a future post. Until then, I wish my followers both on this blog and on Twitter a Safe, Happy and Prosperous New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What To Expect With My Main Couple...

Yanina and Peter are an interracial couple.  She is white and first/second-generation Eastern-European American.  He is Black and multiple-g...