Sunday, October 4, 2026

The Influences and Inspirations!

Just off my chest about #RepresentationMatters! There is a hashtag going around social media until it's expanded to Netflix keywords under certain films and TV series.

I remember in middle school, I started to write a comic called Cool Style Kids(original title by one of my brothers), 

Speak about representation matters concerning writing my Cool Style Kids now Greenview You when my French-speaking classmate read my comic and got excited for seeing one a character speaking French the word "deja." 

One title “Courage, Dana” about becoming a hero and how sudden fame can not only warp ideas about yourself but cause envy and jealousy among the people you thought cared about you.

How could one forget what started it all? How could I forget some of my earlier influences? The Boy Who Could Fly? And Flight of the Navigator? Disney once showed all their programming on a single channel - yeah, I know. In the new world of massive cable/digital/dish marketing, what a concept- 

 A series to fall for...

When I get hooked on a series, I really stick with it! Case in point: anyone remember Sweet Valley High®?
 
This was one of the first series I got obsessed with through peer pressure, but this was positive pressure as many of my friends and classmates I liked were reading it. Two identical twin sisters: white-haired blondes and blue eyes. 

Dealing with internet trolls
Won't forget watching the MV "Joanna" by Kool & the Gang and commented that since the song was about the fond memories of a former Cotton Club(which was segregated) star, who happened to be a Black woman, and how white audiences even loved her and a rando popped up disregarding my views that it isn't that deep. This was back when I used to argue with randos online. I don't waste my time anymore. No more "throwing pearls before swine" sort of thing. I'm going to block you. I understand more that insecure guys want to shut you down. Even worse when they see you present as a Black woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Influences and Inspirations!

Just off my chest about #RepresentationMatters!  There is a hashtag going around social media until it's expanded to Netflix keywords un...