Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Writing Multicultural...Part 4

Three posts ago, I mentioned that manuscript.

Remember? The one I submitted in desperation?

As months went by, dreary thoughts plagued me. Perhaps, in the vacuum of my English and Creative Writing instructors' praises, and a few classmates' encouragement, I really didn't have what it took to be a story writer.

I went on to other projects. I forget about the story.

Months went by, and I received an email.

From an editor!

With my story title in its subject line and a question if I was the author.

The editor had lost some contact information, and so, forgot where the submission originated.
I read the message, realized it WAS mine, and quickly replied.

I learned, through email correspondence, he was also the magazine's co-founder.

The ball rolled quickly afterwards.

Edits back and forth. In this general theme publication, he made two changes: in my earlier draft, have the characters wearing 'skivvies', and to describe the matchmakers' processes.

He explained: many readers may not be familiar with Chinese culture, and so, it would be better if I were more specific with the matchmaking!

Oh, did I forget to mention, the editor, by reading his name, turned out to be Chinese-American?
I nearly fell from my chair.

Here was a story taking place in my fantasy world of upright felines, with cultures and beliefs created from a decade's worth of research, and yet, my FIRST editor took something from it, saw within the story his background, and explained to a nascent writer how to improve its narrative.

No, I'm not making this up. This happened.

Is it a coincidence? I don't believe in it. I believe there is a rhyme and reason to many things.
For instance, there is something to be said about storytelling, that many writers strive for. We would rather be known for telling a good tale rather than how well we do the grammatical mechanics.

Yet, while learning and TRYING to perfect the mechanics of crafting a tale, we can get to the heart of the work, and, within its characters' lives, touch something in the reader.

****
NOTE: It's now official! I am a WikiFur entry! I tweeted this, but here is the link.
Carmen K. Welsh Jr. - WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia

(Whoever wrote this perfected my own information I contributed to my writer's guild and on my official site. Scary. The person(s) wrote about me better than I did!)

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...