Tuesday, May 2, 2023

This Artist-Writer Rants About Photo References

Now that I'm making my way around Paint and FireAlpaca, went through my folder for more completed comic episodes to scan, I'm back to looking for more background settings and can I tell ya: Pinterest p1sses me off! 

It's a wonderful platform to use when creating vision boards and aesthetic collages, but when it comes to backgrounds, I need an idea where in the world a place is. 

For instance, Peter is from Old Money Black Wealth. These families also fled the South during the period between 1919-1960s, early 70s in what we now know as the Great Black Migration.

Since I'm recreating a world based in the real world, I need wealthy housing in the Northeast, and not in the Southeast, though, according to my story, the different branches live in different states. However, SUMMER TO WINTER takes place in the Northeastern states, so I need luxury houses in NY, PA, NJ, and perhaps MA. And then I can take a little from this photo and a little from that photo of mansions to piece together homes for Peter Dunlop's family members. 

This is why I'm preferring using real estate listings as references. I see where the houses are located! I also get to know the architectural styles so my OCs can speak about their residences as though they are real people actually living there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What To Expect With My Main Couple...

Yanina and Peter are an interracial couple.  She is white and first/second-generation Eastern-European American.  He is Black and multiple-g...