Monday, February 20, 2012

'Giovanni & Francesca' in Sepia

Being an artist first and writer in close second, I am driven by images and sights. As a writer, I then tend to analyze those images in order to better understand the world and myself.

As in the earlier image of this post, the image is in Sepia. For the purists (for which I count myself), 'photograph' was taken in 1912.

"Giovanni and Francesca Castellano"

Photographs are powerful, as anyone can see from the time of Ellis Island's ushering in many of the immigrants that helped to build the modern age in the late 18th to early 19th centuries.
In History class, my textbooks drew me in by the photos, social commentary, and political cartoons of the time.
The next images is inspired from photos and political cartoons from those times and places. I hope you will enjoy them!

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...