Saturday, September 1, 2012

Of innocence and purity

A friend didn't want me to explain the song, "Me and Mrs. Jones" to HER friend. Her argument that while she herself was innocent, her friend was pure. And then, that got me thinking.. The differences between innocence, purity, chastity, virginity, naivete'..and how our society confuses these terms, often using them interchangeably within prose, poetry and verbally.
I will speak about purity and innocence.
I'm often drawn to how the 'innocent' character is portrayed in any story I'm reading.
In one of my cat fantasy stories, my lynx boy is part of a prophecy that whoever wields the evil weapon he carries, will become corrupted.
Because my lynx is purehearted, he is one of a few who can carry the infernal weapon without being influenced by it. This, of course, makes him a target by the mortal, immortal, divine, and infernal worlds.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...