Sunday, December 2, 2012

Another side note..

I'm often asked how do I negotiate cultural ideas and distinguish ethnicities because I use animal characters instead of humans.
There are a couple of techniques to use: there is research to be had, especially when one can read about a breed's origins (nationality, country,the prevailing human culture, etc.).
With that, I look into region and whether there are humans in that area, how do THEY live?
Once I learn these things, the creation of the character(s) also become(s) apparent - physical features, religious/faith beliefs, cultural quirks, symbolism unique to the individual..

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...