Friday, January 27, 2017

2016 was tough...

Right now, I'm at my hairdresser's house, typing this. The hair dryer just finished. 2016 has been a rough year and I look forward to 2017 with anticipation and trepidation.

I'm concerned, frustrated, and angered by the political climate in this country. As a creative person working in the profession, there is a real concern that the present administration will cut funding for the arts. It's what many in political circles do when they lean more towards conservatism and are not moderate or progressive.

This angers me because it will directly affect me and many other creatives (aspiring/intermediate/professional) while ricocheting to other industries tied in.

What I can do is continue my art, become more civically aware, educate others, and turn away from those who are narrow-minded, obstructionistic, and who actually believe that because they have the same rights as I, can try to take away mine because I am NOT in their group. I hate being political but when I know there are fellow citizens out there threatening my way of life (healthcare, reproductive, education, government funding, etc.) and the lives of others, I'm going to FIGHT. And FIGHT as an artist/writer/creative I will.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...