Thursday, September 14, 2017

Hurricane Irma Is Behind Us But There's Still Work To Do

Well, I'm back!
Unless you were under some crevice somewhere, not only did a devastating hurricane (Harvey) ruin many parts of Texas, but Florida, the Keys, and most of the Caribbean was hit by Irma.

According to meteorologists, both "Harvey" and "Irma" will be retired. By the grace of God, mom and I are fine and well. Our house didn't suffer damages and we had the strength to do most of the yard work in front, side and in back...

Before I continue, I want to give thanks and show gratitude to those that are still here with us, who shouldered and survived the hurricane.

Before and during the event, I made as many preparations for my writing as much as possible. I backed up on four thumbdrives/USBs my novel manuscript, some writer job/scholarship applications, and photos I took of the house before the hurricane.
I then stored all four external drives in a metal file cabinet inside my bedroom and locked it.

With no power for some days afterwards, I pleasure-read, researched, and wrote by electric lamp and by candlelight. I wasn't feeling the 18th Century Writer's vibe AT ALL.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...