Friday, May 26, 2023

Clean-up Vs Draft

First clean-up vs original draft ---
This particular episode is almost complete in its touching up. 

Fixed the text boxes to make them more organized on the page, improved on the PA speaker, tidied up Yanina, fixed Peter to be thicker, and fixed up his tie, collar, and sweater vest.
Most important update, Ms. Forsyte is no longer a sketchy blob but now looks definitive. And that phone actually reaches her cat ears*! If you follow me on Twitter, you know this is one of my pet peeves when it comes to headphones, earpieces, and other accessories not reaching the animal characters' ears!

Original draft:

Gave Quatermain back her high forehead (XD) and fixed her chin. Made Peter's headshape more consistent in the 3 panels he appears in. A lot of dialogue and expository text boxes needed rearranging and cleaning up. Also, remembering Peter was a linebacker in college, so his torso is squarish with his waist being about the same width as his chest. I also fixed up Yanina’s hair a bit and gave her a body in the third panel (lower left). My favorite but hardest part was the fourth and last panel. Yanina’s hair tends to look frazzled when she's experiencing sudden emotions. Also, I like how Peter's profile turned out. It was driving me nuts in the earlier draft. Also, fixed those clothing wrinkles!

Original draft:

Ok, I have to admit I found this scene fun when I drafted it. I had in mind to fix Yanina’s profile and highlight Peter’s whimsical nature. I fixed details like his hair texture, more detail to his sweater vest, Yanina’s dog ears by enlarging them, making her black heart earrings more defined, show her long sweater, but most fun of all was showing Quartermain's growing confusion and later shock at what's happening in front of her! I thought it would be funny if, after a giant question mark ❓️ appeared over her, then she would be peeking over with the one exclamation point❗️, and then add another exclamation (‼️) the more shocked she becomes, lol! Also, frazzled Quartermain's hair, have movement lines, Peter doing a little dance instead of shrugging when Yanina threatens to tell his aunt how he's embarrassing her at work.

Original draft:

Now when I put this comic together on FireAlpaca, I'll stick this in-between the panel with the kiss on Yanina’s forehead and the panel with Yanina freaking out and Quartermain doubly (double exclamations!!) shocked. I also fixed Peter's hairline, his goatee, and Yanina’s nose bridge and chin. Also, when someone holds a person's chin, they tend to squish and the chin being held looks almost like a double chin, lol. I rewrote the text and used the heart template to show Peter's affectionate tone. Will need to enlarge Yanina’s ears and make Peter's hand a little larger. Fixed dialogue to be easier to follow and added another response from Yanina (as well as her blushing) to emphasize her confusion.

Original draft:

So there you have it! I knew this post was going to take me a long time! I will still be posting on Insta but I wanted a platform to explain at the least, this particular scene and where my creativity led me.

Bye for now, Dear Readers!

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...