Sunday, June 4, 2023

My story's story on humor

Humor has always been important to me as a longtime fan of stand-up comedy, an avid sitcom watcher, and preferring comedic actors over drama actors. 

So when I decided to work on my webcomic, Summer to Winter, I knew humor is especially difficult to write and therefore, convey well in a narrative. This is why I not only relied on my graphic skills, but I tried to rely on what made me laugh growing up. 

I have always liked the idea of Romance Comedies. I mean, I'm an avid Romance novel/graphic novel reader. I also LOVE comedians! They are some of my favorite celebrities! And when they're starting out, I usually become a Day One Fan, following their careers throughout the years. With this in mind, I have the best of both worlds when it comes to Romantic Comedy. 

However, I noticed a pattern. Most of my favorite Rom-coms were often overseas fare. When I did watch or try reading US romance comedies, what we made and viewed as romantic comedy seemed manipulative, bordered on obsessive behavior, dysfunctional, and even dangerously toxic, none of which I found funny. 

That's why my WIP rom-com's humor seems heavily influenced and inspired from Britcoms (British comedy/ sitcoms), early US sitcoms (the 70s-90s), and the situational misunderstandings that occur in a lot of Asian comedy media.

So far, my readers (some beta) are getting my brand of humor and have become invested in the overall story. And now that I plan on revitalizing the comic through art software and self-publishing it to multiple platforms. I'm also editing it and will let more eyes look it over beforehand.

Wish me good luck and whatever prayers you invest in to help me along. And thank you, my Dear Readers, for believing in this blog.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...