Thursday, November 24, 2011

"I'm marryin' him, Mama!"

"I'm marryin' him, Mama!" by Carmen K. Welsh (c)
In this scene, which I later refined thanks to a Sears & Roebuck's catalogue, my protagonist, Stacey Hankin, is really getting it from the confrontational, no-nonsense, Mrs. Beatrice Hankin. Stacey's just given the news she's engaged. Her mother does not like one bit the man the daughter is intent on marrying.

In another sketchbook, I've refined this scene: changes to both mother and daughter to reflect the 1930's look. I'm also studying the hairstyles among Black American women of this time.
I will post the refined sketch to this soon.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...