Friday, April 6, 2012

"'Slash' & Stacey (embrace)"

A coworker's first words to me about this sketch (paraphrased): "Aww..She feels so safe in his arms. He looks so strong, as though he will protect her always."
That statement stuck with me.
When my coworker said that, it gave me new appreciation for this rough sketch.
Oftentimes, artists, we meet people who GET IT. Who GET our art. Who GET our meaning, what we were trying to say in a particular piece.

Since I write other stories besides this WIP, I have my favorites. These two, since I envisioned them in 6th grade Summer School (it seems I thought up a lot of stuff in Summer School!), are one of my favorite couples!

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...