Saturday, May 18, 2013

In Summer/Fall Chic circa 1932 (REVISED & ORIGINAL SKETCH)


"Summer/Fall chic" by Carmen K. Welsh



I originally posted this on Dec. 21, 2011. (Orig. 5 1/2in x 8 1/2in.)

For those following the blog, there has been a series of pencil sketches (and I apologize, some have been so faint) pulled from the work-in-progress.

When updating, realized I was fresh off reading and reviewing popular1920s/1930s art movements, such as Art Deco.
Art in this period, was highly exaggerated, and with very angular, bold lines.
(Just check out Dagwood Bumstead from the "Blondie"(r) comic strips!)

This kind of caricature was also used often to portray celebrities and politicians in the glossy magazines of the time.

And the update (9in x 12in):

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...