Saturday, March 29, 2014

More of an Influence...

I read somewhere years ago that J. R. R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" was influenced by Richard Wagner's "The Ring of the Nibelung" or "The Ring Cycle".

I'm trying to complete some graphic novel series and YA fantasy novels that I was suppose to finish long ago, but alas, life happens.

So, Lloyd Alexander's "Prydain Chronicles" (5 volumes) is now on my list of what I what to read now. I'm using online purchasing to find the editions to match what I already have.
I also have a manga series to read. I need 8 volumes to not only complete the series but to finish the books.

I'm a huge YA book reader. I oftentimes prefer the genres within Young Adult rather than the stuff written for more "mature audiences".

What I like about the "Prydain Chronicles" is there is an introduction in each volume when Mr. Alexander speaks about the series on a whole. Because the series was written during the 1960s, the books have become classics as well as the last volume having won the Newbury. He mentioned that the ancient Celtic texts of the Mabinogion (the first parts coming from the Welsh) was a heavy influence to his "Prydain" series.

Author and artist interviews always interest me because I like to get a peek inside another creative type's head. It encourages and strengthens me when I learn about what influences others and how they bring that into being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What To Expect With My Main Couple...

Yanina and Peter are an interracial couple.  She is white and first/second-generation Eastern-European American.  He is Black and multiple-g...