Friday, July 11, 2014

The Art of Plugging Away - New Edition

"There comes a time in everyone's life...." Blah blah blah. No, I will give it to you straight - have been back from residency and didn't think it was possible.
I realized I was burned out last term (Jan 2014) and needed to recuperate. Then I read an article in Poets&Writers magazine about 'post residency stress'.
I brought it up with a poet cohort of mine (we are divided into three groups: poetry, nonfiction and fiction (my group), and he told me that it was a true condition! So that's probably why I am dragging and yet have momentary bursts of energy. And according to the author of that article, it affects everyone in different ways. For her, it affected her mood, emotions, and at some point, her circadian rhythm.
For me, it's making me itchy and tense. I feel I have to burn the midnight oil, drop into bed so late that I'm only getting a few hours sleep. This isn't good. And now I need to get back into my groove, which is proving elusive.
Well, one, no, a couple good things out of this mania: I'm getting work done.
I'm putting my research together for my third term critical essay.
I already put together/organized my folders from school on my desk.
Sent some important emails (have two more left) and I am getting my books a month in advance for the rest of this year's packets. Whew.
Let the Games Begin!

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...