Thursday, April 20, 2017

Being a Geek

Not me as a child.
Currently reading The Secret Loves of Geek Girls and remembered an ex-friend asking me years after high school, "Were you always like this?" meaning "Were you always a nerd/geek/dork even when I knew you in high school?" And I said, "Yes, I am but-" She said, "You were trying to fit in?" And with inner shame, I said, "Yes. Because-" I let my response drop. I didn't get a chance to clarify that statement as this friend started showing her true colors to the point I could no longer be around her. But I digress...

Not me as a teen.

Yep. Definitely still not me.
Since I work at a college campus as a lab tutor, I have been introducing nerd-related clothing into my wardrobe. I'm middle-age and feel more comfortable with who I am. I really don't care anymore. However, it comes to a point when one realizes that one can no longer go by certain dictates imposed on. Back in grade school, I had to hide what I watched, and in many cases, what I read, what I wrote. In high school, Commercial Art class was the one time I was allowed to draw what I wanted. It's been freeing and also an eye-opener to understand the strictures from society. It has been freeing in what I read, what I write, in what I discuss with others. I'm letting my geek flag fly.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...