Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Best of 2017 - Part One

NOTE: Here, there be hyperlinks!

In honor of Banned Books Week, which will conclude in 4 days, I am posting my Best of 2017 books that have simply blown my mind (and that's not an easy thing to do, though I feel my tastes are wide-spread enough that I'm often more satisfied than disappointed) and wish to share my findings with my readers and visitors...

First up is Lightspeed Magazine's(r) ------- Destroy Science Fiction or Fantasy anthology series.

Anybody that knows me knows I love my anthologies! I'm obsessed! Between a novel and an anthology, I would have to be a fan of the author to choose the novel over the anthology. I blame my grade school days. Anthologies are perfect excuses to be introduced to new writers/authors and is a portable library of shorts: fiction, nonfiction, essays, interviews, comics, artwork, and poetry. Anthologies can be in every subject and are perfect for burgeoning and veteran science fiction/fantasy/horror readers.

Lightspeed Magazine's People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction is a meaty (sorry to vegetarians!) collection of hard-hitting stories, mind-opening interviews, and essays from authors of varying ethnic and cultural groups. Science fiction has always been consumed by 'people of color' but those that write it have not been given the media exposure they deserve. People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction means to change that.

Not only did I relate to statements and some life experiences mentioned in author essays and interviews with the anthology, but I was dismayed that authors whom I thought were White turned out to be a different ethnic group! Take for instance Daniel H. Wilson, author of the Robopocalypse series! He's Native American. How many of us know that our First Peoples in the United States are writing speculative fiction? I'm sure many of the most well-read did not know or were aware, and that's tragic, indeed.

Included in this toothsome and almost brick-heavy (it is a bit weighty but so worth it) volume, are various art pieces and illustrations, many created for the stories but also to showcase the range of talent in the spec-fic landscape.

People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction is guest edited by Nalo Hopkinson and Kristine Ong Muslim - Hopkinson is a well-known powerhouse author and Ong Muslim is a writer to watch for!

Each entry in this anthology gives a smaller-font brief bio paragraph on each author and any social media they are on.

Please pick up People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction directly from Lightspeed Magazine or where ever books are sold.

Info on Banned Books Week here: Banned and Challenged Books

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...