Saturday, August 11, 2018

Because it's Back-to-School time!

My mom was a school teacher for 30+ years, both in New York and in Florida before retiring.

By having a teacher for a parent, not only did I get my school supplies ahead of time but I actually enjoyed shopping for them rather than going to school. As the youngest, I've gotten a lot of cute memorable stuff over the years.

When in second grade, Mom bought me some Crayola crayon-rocket-shaped erasers. My classmates kept harassing me and my teacher thought I had brought in toys and disrupted the class. But I showed her they were erasers.

This episode taught me to be particular with what supplies I revealed to schoolmates and how jealousy can get someone into trouble.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...