Sunday, May 7, 2023

The Eyes (and Brows) Have It: Attention To Details

Working on eyes, like hands, has always been fun for me, though it is a bone of contention for other artists. Most of us know that once you don't get the character's eyes just right, it can irrevocably change their face.

Here is a close-up of Ronan's eyes...
This comic will start out as a black-and-white, so it'll be easier for me to digitally fix it. 

Here is Ronan further out. I'm also shaping out his eyebrows, but now the eye to the viewer's left needs more attention.

As we zoom-out more, we see more of the character and get to see who he is. 

Ronan has jowls and keeps a sparse beard. Also, with seeing nearly his whole face, I can see as his artist that I'll have to shave off a little more of his viewer's right eyebrow and tweak more of his viewer's left eye pupil and bottom eye line.
Now that we are fully zoomed out, you, the viewer, may not notice what needs changing, but from the previous images, you get how obsessed we artists get with just the smallest of details. 

I will be enacting the changes I mentioned, and when I do, I will be posting these on my Insta, both Befores and Afters. 

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...