Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Dreaming into Work or The Muse Doesn't Do Your Work

Another writer asked how important dreams are to one's work-in-progress.

I've gotten a couple of stories from my dreams.

If I'm not stressed out and sleep well, my dreams are often sequential, full color, with a cast of characters.

I find this crazy. Some may find this manah from Heaven. It probably isn't in that the work of putting together a viable writing project is still involved.

I have two comic WIPs, a SF novelette, and a Fantasy novella strictly from dreams alone. And still working out each and every one of them to this day.

I've gotten a couple of stories from dreams. If I'm not stressed out and sleep well, my dreams are often sequential, full color, with a cast of characters. It's crazy.

Well, we were asked what was one's craziest dream. I have plenty, as Disney's Ariel would say.

One in which I was chased by robotic dogs.
Another, I witnessed a naiad (I think that's a freshwater nymph?) carried off from her swampland lake by her love interest, a centaur.

Both yielded two story drafts and their accompanying artwork. There's more but that will be for other posts.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...