Monday, August 12, 2019

The Unseen Within

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease.

This isn't fatal and it's tied in with the thyroid disorder I have struggled with since my Baccalaureate days. I spoke to a dear friend who suffers similarly and, because that friend had received diagnosis of their Hashimoto's before me, was able to recognize and point out my symptoms to me.

I don't think I have posted about my thyroid problems for some years on this blog. I constantly tweet about it but it has been a long time since I covered and blogged about it on Pretty in Print.

Such diseases and disorders that affect the thyroid, hormones, glandular, and chronic aches and pains are often cited as 'Invisible Illnesses'. Since being diagnosed with Grave's Disease back in 2002, I have become much more aware of my body, my lifelong allergies, and other conditions. I notice that I place such on my characters in my stories.

As my readers have been following this blog, I recently had a short story published. It is science fiction yet I'm acutely aware of what my alien character and his human mate are going through. Allergies take a strong position in the story. As well as female hormonal health, migraines, and understanding the difference in how many pain receptors the different sexes have.

I've been continuous with the story. There are scenes that recall the struggles of a being negatively and positively affected by this planet. Because he does not originate from here, there are precautions he has learned to take in order to survive. I don't see many scifi stories that tackle these issues about what our planet could do to off-world visitors that would not necessarily kill them but might still make them consistently suffer.

Invisible illnesses and diseases are just that. One hurts. One aches. Diet has to be changed. Certain physical activities altered. I'm wearing more compression footwear and wrist supports now. Even to bed. There are more and more foods I have to remove from my daily intake. I feel like an alien. I don't feel like I belong on this world but should have been born on another.

During my MFA program, I met a faculty member who has become a sort of unofficial mentor to several of us. Her name is Sandra Beasley and she wrote a book called Don't Kill the Birthday Girl which not only chronicles her life as someone who has numerous food allergies, but the book is also a medical guide. It's not just a funny memoir but an informative medical documentation.

I want people to understand that folks like myself want understanding and empathy. I let some at my workplace know about my diagnosis, and I was given the response that at least it isn't fatal.

That isn't the point.

There are things to change and alter but it can still bring much of a shock and fearfulness for the future. I know I won't die from this, but it still is a frightening disorder.

Lifestyle must change. Life goals must be changed. The person you thought you were has now been forever colored. What you *knew* about yourself was a lie and you weren't ever at fault. But the world wasn't made for you. And only those within these illnesses or are deeply connected may understand.

To purchase Don't Kill the Birthday Girl, click here.
To understand Hashimoto's Disease and other glandular/thyroidal issues may click here.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...