Friday, June 9, 2023

This Is What I Can Do Now

I was about to make this a tweet thread and just decided to blog about it instead. Was reading my latest favorite webcomic (a Furry sport romance, no less), when one of the characters said that ice skating needs to work out for them because they don't know anything else. And I felt that. 

And no, I have had multiple jobs over the years that taught me a multitude of skills and helped me gain abilities I didn't know I had. I am considered over-qualified when I applied at different workplaces. 

However, in my more just world, I would have attended a technical school, worked under the apprenticeship of a known artist/artisan, and built my career more organically. The problem is, I wasn't expecting to have reached this age, and now feel like I'm "winging it" through life. Sick-unto-death, is how my mom will describe it, and I have nearly died several times over the years. 

Since I have chronic health problems, I have spent time reading and loving books. I have been able to get through school and work because I actually do enjoy reading, learning, and researching.

However, in my case, "The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak". Once I've been at a job for some months to a few/couple (depending on if you're US or UK) years, a mental/emotional malaise comes over me, and my physical body begins to break down. In other words, my anxiety and "mild" depression begins to kick in, and my body begins to break down in whatever way, shape, or form my illnesses, disorders, and other health conditions also act up, and I begin to arrive late to work, taking sick/mental days more, or until I finally just... 

What I'm saying is, I'm trying my damnnest to work on my art and writing because THIS IS ALL I CAN DO THAT WON'T  BE DISRUPTED BY MY CHRONIC HEALTH ISSUES. I need to do everything I can, now I'm in my 40s, to make this my life's work and career because, though I have the skills and plenty of experience and job-training, my body won't let me.

Sorry for being a downer post, but this is the reality I have before me. I didn't expect to live this long. I hadn't made plans this far ahead because I didn't expect to reach this age. My original love of writing and art will have to be it because I don't have the stamina to do anything else. 

Like my Jamaican mom says, "You have the mind. Not the behind." 

Thanks again for being patient with my ranting, dear readers.  Until next time...

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...