Thursday, October 26, 2023

The Art of Plugging Away

Wow, I haven't done an 'The Art of Plugging Away' post for a hot minute, huh? 

[This post originally on Bluesky] Episode 4 just needs 3 pages left before I migrate files to FireAlpaca for coloring, sfx, and finishing touches! [Bsky]

*Rant time* There's ppl on FB who actually know me IRL, and there's a few family members & folks on Twitter who know me IRL. So, I'm going to vent here: I work a 5pm-1am on average with this webcomic. 

Whether it's scripting, character design, storyboarding, learning my chosen software, I need to do this.

I've tried to work a 9-5. I've tried different jobs over the years. But I work a few months. I may even work a few years with a handful of jobs. But the same things always ends up happening: my mental health tanks. I get depressed, social anxiety, panic attacks, etc. Or this chronically-ill body gives out on me, somehow.
 
I realized from 2017 (right when I finished and graduated from a master's program) that I just am too neurodivergent and chronically sick to work like others. And maybe some of these jobs were just too toxic for me. 

Regardless of the whys, working to self-publish my artwork and writings is my last shot. I don't know what more to do. I don't know what else to do.

Representation is a gift

When I began SUMMER TO WINTER, I noticed more than one brown or Black reader and/or friend asked if (Peter) Dunlop is Black.  The relief and...